Sunday, April 03, 2005

Tribute

R. Milian

Today was my birthday.
Family members congratulated me, others called me, and still others sent birthday cards.

But this yearly pattern was broken with the news that John Paul II had died.
How insignificant I felt all of a sudden.
The rain outside seemed like a fitting tribute to his death.
All those congratulations were so miniscule in contrast with the stature of the Man who had passed away.

I can’t help to think this way. How do you celebrate your birthday when his death has stopped the world for a day?
My small birthday pales in comparison with the great work he did, but at the same time,
I think his death is the greatest birthday present I would ever receive in my lifetime.

April 2 will not have the same significance for me anymore.
It will no longer be the cake and candles, but a celebration of what I have done to improve my life and that of others.

The world mourns John Paul II.
He touched so many lives.
He saved so many souls.
He touched mine on my birthday, unexpectedly, and for that I am grateful.
Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home