Friday, December 10, 2004

Personal Narrative

MY FIRST SCHOOL DAY IN THE UNITED STATES

It has been twenty years since I attended my first school in the United States. I can remember my first day like it was yesterday. Many of the things that happened to me back then were different, but now that I think about that time, I am glad that I experienced those moments.
The first thing I remember clearly was the moment I entered the classroom. It was amazing to see children from all over the world. The teacher introduced me to the class, while my palms felt sweaty and sticky. I was relieved I did not have to shake hands with anybody. After my introduction, I was assigned a seat, which was not very comfortable. On my right, I saw a kid from Ecuador and on my left, one from Peru. From my seat, I quickly noticed that the students did not wear uniforms. I was really surprised since in my country almost everyone had to wear one.
Next, my attention was focused on the teacher and all the students who listened attentively to her. You could hear a pin drop; the silence in the classroom was terrifying! I had never seen a teacher command so much attention. After that, I started to look at everything in the classroom. I noticed a big closet in the back of the room. All the students’ coats were hanging there except for mine. I also saw something that looked like a chalkboard, but it wasn’t really a chalkboard. It had figures and drawings made out of paper on it. Later, I found out it was called a bulletin board. The chalkboard looked bigger than the ones in my country, and the windows looked as tall as skyscrapers. Against the wall, there was something that resembled an accordion, which made a piercing noise like a train was approaching its destination. Heat came out of it, and it made the room feel warm. But at that moment, I did not want to feel warm because I was perspiring profusely. I had forgotten to take off my coat.
At lunchtime, the class was taken to the cafeteria. I had never seen anything like it! My old school did not have these many tables. I never had to get on line to get food. I can’t remember exactly what I ordered, but I know someone in the class made me feel comfortable in this place. I finally had a chance to relax and talk to some of the students. I was a little shy, but they were friendly.
At the end of the school day, I was excited to go home. I wanted to tell my parents what I had experienced in my new school. I wanted to tell them everything. On my way home, I felt good that I had survived my first day of school in the United States.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home